Monday, December 8, 2014

"Soledad Canyon" map blueprint

As part of a design test for an interview, I was tasked with creating a map for a time travel themed first person shooter. This was my blueprint, the actual assembled piece (my first attempt with Unity) has, thankfully, been lost over the years. The general progression takes the player from the open, sand-dune like areas on the right, through the series of tunnels in the lower left into a steep bridge-crossed ravine which winds up to the three floating islands near the center.

Of course, I can now recognize it as a failure in many ways, or at best an unusual assemblage of promising ideas. The map's vertical elements worked out surprisingly well (perhaps I was eager to experiment with the y axis after having foolishly confined myself to 2 dimensions), but the general structure is painfully linear, partially the fault of a smug anti-FPS bias I possessed at the time. The cave section (marked "E") is particularly painful to look at, and was drastically revised in the final project (and arguably weakened even further). The prime mistake here, which the various sub-errors all spring from, is the ambitious "more is better" attitude - focusing on perfecting a single area would have been a much wiser and more rewarding method.

No comments:

Post a Comment